Monday, July 6, 2009

Coping with the daily stress of caregiving

Northfulton.com

DULUTH - There are 15-20 million in-home caregivers in America. Statistically, this probably includes you or a neighbor.

I know that in-home caregiving is frustrating and stressful, because my wife and I have been caring for her mom for 10 years. I've successfully managed the frustrations by practicing these mental or physical activities: I admit, balance, pray, escape, affirm, focus, connect and laugh. Each is important, healthy and helps me through the hassles, guilt and frustrations of caregiving.

First, I admit my negative feelings -- some anger, some resentment, a lot of frustration. If I'm not honest about my own feelings, I cannot cope with them. Only when I finally admitted to my wife that I felt resentment about her Alzheimer's mother living with us, did I feel a level of freedom.

Secondly, I use balance as my next device. If I balance the problems with a sense of responsibility, then I can cope. My wife and I constantly respond to people who ask how we do it with this simple statement: "This is what you do for your family." Mom is family. So we take care of her because she needs taking care of. This fundamental sense of family and a sense of responsibility to family get me through many a day of Mom's sickness.

My third coping skill is prayer. It keeps me in daily touch with the three "big" virtues: faith, hope, and love.

Prayer keeps my life in perspective. Every morning, I start the day by thanking God for my wife and family, for the ability to cope, for the gift of choice, for the examples of love. In prayer, I ask God to grant me the courage to deal positively with this negative situation.

This next coping device is essential: no one can cope with caregiving for a long time without finding some way to escape now and then. Get some person to come in so you can go out. You have to get away and take a break so you can reset your perspectives, rekindle your appreciations, and recharge your soul. Step out of the house so......read all of Coping with the daily stress of caregiving

Here is a great dementia resource for caregivers and healthcare professinals,

Here is information on being the best caregiver you can be

Here are more interesting dementia articles and activities

No comments: