Thursday, June 11, 2009

New FDA approved medical food product to combat Alzheimer's Disease

Examiner.com

David Lindberg

When I first began reading about this new approach to fighting Alzheimer’s Disease, my first thought was that this was probably a vitamin supplement product, like the thousands of supplemental products that may or may not do what they promise. I started doing some research and discovered that there is actually an FDA category for medical food, which is what this new product is, named Axona. Axona is a product of Accera, Inc.

NOTE - (This is not an endorsement of a product, but a presentation of a new therapy in the fight against Alzheimer's Disease)

The first interview was with P. Murali Doraiswamy MD is professor of psychiatry at Duke University and co-author of The Alzheimer’s Action Plan.

Q1.) Can you tell me a little about Axona, what you’re role is in this discovery and what you’re general thoughts are about Alzheimer’s research going on right now?

The answer and much more

Here is a great resource dementia for caregivers and healthcare professinals,

Here is information on being the best caregiver you can be

Here are more interesting dementia articles and activities,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Research that provides additional insight into Alzheimer’s is critical to finding a cure.
It is also important for patients and families affected by Alzheimer’s to consider participating in clinical studies. I'm working with the ICARA (Bapi) Study (www.icarastudy.com), whose goal is to explore if an investigational drug, called Bapineuzumab, can help slow the progression of Alzheimer’s Disease. Clinical studies that test new treatments are the best chance we have for fighting this disease.

Kathy NC said...

My name is Kathy and I am 39. I am the full time caregiver to my Dad who has Alzheimer's and lives with me.

In addition to Dad, I have a full time job, 3 dogs, my love of 12 years David and his 14 year old daughter. I get overwhelmed a lot but try to find the humor if I can.

I am writing a blog which shows the lighter side of caring for someone with dementia.

www.KnowItAlz.com

Please pass this link along to anyone you feel would enjoy it.

Thanks!
Kathy