Thursday, January 8, 2009

Alzheimer’s and Home Health Care

payingforalzheimerscare

Brian Willie
For many families, home health care is the way to go to take care of their loved one with Alzheimer’s. That is, at least for awhile. There are some very good home health care providers, but they can be very expensive. The average cost is $16-24/hour. For the family that needs moderate levels of help, this may not be bad, but as care needs increase, and more and more hours must be spent on home health care, the Alzheimer’s family will face tremendous expenses. I recently met with someone who runs a home health service and she told me that it’s not uncommon for round the clock care to cost as much as $3,600 a week!

We will talk more about how a little known Veteran’s Benefit can.....read the whole post

Other dementia information here
Dementia activities here

1 comment:

Carol D. O'Dell said...

Yes, I agree with you. Supplemental care is affordable, but as your loved one's needs increase, it becomes cost prohibitive for most families.

I cared for my mom(she had Parkinson's and Alzheimer's) in my home for over two years, and I was constantly "mixing it up," trying to find the next answer to our needs.

Change is the key. Just when you get your little system working, something changes! I find that our love and committment as family is the constant component.

~Carol D. O'Dell
Author, Mothering Mother: A Daughter's Humorous and Heartbreaking Memoir
available on Amazon
www.mothering-mother.com