Sunday, September 28, 2008

Alzheimer's disease and other dementias are hard on everyone

Clarion online
Amanda Newfield
This story is older, but it bears viewing because the subject matter is still relavent

She no longer remembers that she was married for many years. She doesn't even realize that she turned 85 this month.

During a special visit two weeks ago, my family and I walked into her room around 8 p.m. To our surprise, she was still awake. She looked up at us with a smile and when we said "Hi Grandma," and my father said "Hi, Mom" she merely laughed.

Somewhere in her heart I believe she knows us still, despite the struggle her mind is going through, despite the fact that she can no longer find the words to talk to us.

I remember learning about my grandmother's disease when I was in my early teens. I was confused. I thought, "How can my grandmother not know who I am?"

I suddenly understood why she carried around a piece of paper with our names on it.

Alzheimer's disease and other dementias are hard on everyone in
read the whole article

No comments: