Thursday, March 5, 2009

Supporting people with dementia by listening clearly to their emotions

Lancaster ONLINE.com
By LINDA ESPENSHADE, Staff Writer

In the beginning stages of dementia, the 80-year-old woman who recently moved to a retirement community couldn't understand why her children wouldn't come and take her back home.

They had promised they would, she insisted.

"What's going on?" Stephen Klotz, validation director for Country Meadows Retirement Communities, including a branch in Lancaster asked. "You really seem unhappy here."

"Well, it's not that it's so bad here," the woman said. "It's just not where I should be. I should be at home," she said emphatically.

"You really want to go home because this isn't your home," Klotz said rephrasing what she had said with the same intensity.

"You're darn right this isn't my home," she said.

"What's your home like?" Klotz asked.

"It's mine. My stuff is there. My family lives nearby."
Whar else?.......read the whole article

For more dementia information, click here

For Alzheimer's and dementia activities, click here

For information on being the best caregiver you can be, click here

For a great resource for those with dementia, caregivers and healthcare professinals, click here

1 comment:

Rachel McKinney said...

I just wanted to say that I really appreciate your blog. I have a dear friend with dementia. It has been so hard to see her condition get worse so fast.

Best advice I can think of is to have patience with them.